Last Updated on June 13, 2023 by Ray Roman
As a passionate home cook, I’ve found that one of the most delicious and versatile fish to cook on the grill is the striped bass or “striper.” And, there is no better place to catch striper than Lake Texoma, which is where we live.
This fish is known for its firm texture and mild flavor, making it perfect for various dishes. Today, I’ll share my favorite method for how to cook striper on the grill, which includes a simple yet flavorful marinade and step-by-step instructions to achieve perfectly-grilled fillets.
After you’ve gathered the necessary ingredients and prepared your grill, you’ll be ready to serve a mouthwatering meal that your family and friends will love.
In this grilled striper fish recipe, you’ll need a few simple yet delicious ingredients to create a memorable meal. Here’s the list of ingredients that I gathered:
- 4 (8-ounce) striper fish fillets
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 limes, juice, and zest of one
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
The ingredients are easy to find and come together to add a delightful touch of zesty flavor to the grilled fish. In addition to these ingredients, you’ll also need some basic equipment, such as a grill or grill pan, tongs, and a large spatula to handle the fish while grilling.
I recommend having all of your ingredients prepared and ready to go before starting the grilling process to ensure a smooth and enjoyable cooking experience.
Preparing the Striper Fish
When it comes to grilling striper fish, properly preparing the fish is crucial for the best flavor and texture. In this section, I’ll guide you through two important steps: cleaning and marinating the fish before grilling.
Cleaning the Fish
The first step in cooking any fish is to clean and gut it. If you’re uncomfortable with this process, you can ask your local fishmonger to do it. Here’s how I do it:
- First, rinse the fish under cold running water to remove any dirt and debris.
- Next, use a sharp knife to make a shallow cut from the anus to the head, taking care not to puncture the internal organs.
- Gently remove the guts, and discard them.
- Finally, rinse the fish inside and out thoroughly, ensuring no residue remains.
Marinating the Fish
Marinating the striper fish helps to enhance its flavor and keeps it moist while cooking. For a delicious marinade, I like to use the following ingredients:
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of chopped thyme or oregano
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Combine these ingredients in a large, shallow bowl, and place the fish in the marinade, ensuring it is fully coated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let the fish marinate in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before grilling (source).
Now that the striper fish is both clean and marinated, we can move on to the actual grilling process, which will be the focus of the next section.
Grilling the Striper Fish
In this section, I will guide you through the process of grilling a delicious striper fish. We will begin by setting up the grill and then move on to the detailed grilling instructions.
Setting Up the Grill
To achieve the best results, setting up your grill properly is essential. Here are the steps to follow:
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Using a grill brush to remove any leftover food particles, ensure the grates are clean.
- Lightly oil the grates to prevent the fish from sticking during cooking. I recommend using a paper towel dipped in vegetable oil to do this.
Now that your grill is ready let’s begin grilling the striper fish. Follow these steps for tasty and perfectly cooked fish:
- Season the fish with salt, pepper, or your preferred seasoning mixture. You may also choose to marinate the fish beforehand, as suggested in Martha Stewart’s grilled striped bass recipe.
- Place the fish on the well-oiled grill grates, skin-side down.
- Cook the fish for about 4 minutes or until the skin can be easily lifted off the grill without sticking. This cooking duration is also mentioned in the New York Times recipe.
- After the initial 4 minutes, carefully flip the fish and continue grilling it for another 4 to 6 minutes. The fish should be cooked through and flaky when done.
- Once it’s completely cooked, carefully remove the fish from the grill, ensuring not to break or tear the skin.
- Allow the fish to rest for a few minutes before serving.
Enjoy your delicious grilled striper fish as a standalone dish or accompanied by your favorite sides!
When I prepare and serve my grilled striper fish, I like to pair it with complementary side dishes and garnishing ideas to create a complete and visually appealing meal. This section will share some of my favorite side dishes and garnishing suggestions for your grilled striper fish.
Here are some side dishes that I find go well with grilled striper fish:
- Grilled Vegetables: To bring out the flavors of the freshly grilled fish, I like to serve it alongside charred kale and yellow squash. The vegetables add color and texture to the dish, making it visually appealing.
- Rice: If I’m serving my grilled striper fish with a lighter sauce, I like to pair it with a side of fluffy, seasoned rice that subtly enhances the flavors of the fish.
- Potato Salad: Grilled fish goes exceptionally well with a creamy, tangy potato salad, which adds a satisfying contrast to the smoky flavors of the fish.
Once my grilled striper fish is perfectly cooked, I like to add finishing touches with garnishes that add flavor and elevate the presentation. Here are a few of my go-to garnishing ideas:
- Lemon Wedges: Squeezing fresh lemon juice over the grilled striper fish can add a zesty and bright flavor, making the dish more refreshing. Also, placing lemon wedges on the side of the plate adds color and a hint of elegance.
- Fresh Herbs: Sprinkling your grilled fish with chopped fresh herbs such as parsley, cilantro, or dill can enhance the dish’s flavors and give it an appealing, garden-fresh look.
- Sauce: I sometimes like to serve my grilled striper fish with a simple sauce consisting of olive oil, garlic, and fresh herbs or even a more adventurous sauce like chimichurri, tzatziki, or a light Gremolata to give the dish an extra layer of flavor.
Feel free to mix and match these side dishes and garnishes or experiment with your own favorites to create the perfect grilled striper fish meal for you and your loved ones.
How To Cook Striper Final Thoughts
Having enjoyed many backyard grilling experiences, I find that grilled striper fish is both a delicious and nutritious recipe to share with friends and family. The combination of its flavorful ingredients and simple preparation makes it an ideal dish for outdoor gatherings or weeknight dinners.
Check out these Lake Texoma fishing guides if you want to catch stripers.
Further Lake Texoma Reading: